I like bangs; that is to say, I like a cute fringe on a face. In its best form it's kicky and sassy, youthifying, and adorable.
But bangs can also be overwhelming, unflattering, too much, too little, hard to control, frustrating to grow out, not as elegant as sans bangs... And, the cut of the bangs is key. Too layered? - not attractive. Unlayered and blunt? - can pull the face downward. Too long....too short....full? partial? There are so many options, as many as the myriad potential problems any which one can cause. Exasperated sigh.
For years I've been considering having bangs. On my behalf my daughter told our mutual hairdresser that I was considering getting bangs. "She absolutely should not do it!" she cried. "It will age her considerably." (Why did it sound to me as if she already found me aged, even in my current bangless form? Was she mistakenly imagining I meant a thick fringe all across the forehead? Banish the possibility! How could a bit of bang, just a side-swiping slant, possibly be all that bad? Her warning did not dissuade me.)
Lately I've been noticing that some of the hair around my face is either new-grown or broken off from coloring or wear-and-tear, imparting an unintentional but not unflattering mini bang. So the other evening as I was readying myself for tango, I thought, heck, why not clip off a few strands and see how it looks? So I executed a snip here, one there, a few more, and I had....something or other.
I like it!
I went for it (an important impetus for moving-forward in life) and I did it, and luckily I like it!
The bang is born. Not the BIG bang, but just a minor league bang: more than a whimper, but not too much more, more like a wispy shy smile of a bang. ;) But a sweet, appealing smile.
Note to self: Don't wait so long to try out something new. Follow my instincts! Go for it. Pay less attention to naysayers. Trust in myself and my ideas.
Update! I'm so happy I fringed myself! I like living on the fringe! Seriously, I think this was a change I needed. A student of mine who's a hair stylist said she thinks as we age we all need a little bang. :) I agree! I'm adding a little more bang to my life. In fact, I'm heading upstairs right now to find my scissors.
No comments:
Post a Comment