Sharing a Bit of the Journey...

We all have something to share, something to spare, something that might touch or amuse
or inspire someone else in this wide world.

And so, I write here, for myself, and I hope that some of what I write speaks to you too.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Praising IKEA

I know, many folks aren't fans of the frenetic energy and over-population of IKEA stores. But if you can get past the enormous parking lot and actually into the store, and if you glean a sense of direction and learn to actually locate the items you need, the place is a treasure trove. I have several $1 alarm clocks I've used regularly for many years. But recently I made a purchase that has transformed my home and, in a way, therefore, my life. (Without being too dramatic of course.)

Never having been a huge fan of drapes, and always fond of using objects for purposes for which they were never intended, I've not done much about window dressing in my house, although I've lived here for nine years. This hundred-year-old house has beautiful lead paned windows and privacy is an issue only from certain views. Some windows, including those in my bedroom and living room have been bedecked with saris from the Indian stores on Devon Avenue. Once recently I realized that it was possible to see right through those gorgeous saris and straight into my bedroom — yikes! So I decided another solution was in order, not to mention that the saris weren't hemmed, looked a bit tired, didn't flatter the house from outside, and weren't me anymore. So I headed to IKEA thinking I would drape my bedroom. I found 95" long white drapes that hang from large (3"?) grommets at the top. Three packages of drapes (2 panels per) plus the hardware for six windows cost me around $80. My singing student Tom taught me how to use a drill and affix metal anchors in my plaster walls, and within no time the drapes were hung. Quelle difference! My room went from marginal and boring to elegant and airy. Especially beautiful is the way the white fabric of these drapes (a soft canvas) filters the light that comes in, so now the room is cool and airy. From there, I moved on to the guest room, then the living room, and finally the sun room. I cannot express what a change this has been and how much more I'm enjoying my home thanks to these very reasonable drapes from IKEA. So, IKEA, I sing your praises!

La - la - LAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

And I thank you.

p.s. I bought all the drapes and hardware zip-fast in the self-service aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment